Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Beginner's Point of View 122-123

Day 122:

My wrists are just about totally healed. I’m going to beginner class to just work them into shape before going back to advanced class. Today was just about the easiest class for me ever. After stretches and suburi, I put on full bogu and became the target for the beginner students for the whole class.

Today was all about teaching everyone to maintain maai and look for the opportunity to strike. We did a drill where I would take a single step in any direction I chose. The student would then counter-step to keep maai. We did that for a couple of rotations, and then changed the drill a little. I would take three steps in any direction I chose, and then give an opening for men. The student would have to counter-step with me three times and then strike men.

After a couple of rotations of that, then we shortened it to a single step and then the opening. The final drill was a kind of one-sided keiko where I would give an opening of my choosing, and then the student would attack me according to the opening. After they passed by and used zanshin, I would make another opening. We would do this for thirty seconds and rotate.

At the end of class, I decided not to work my wrists any more to see how they would react. Another of the advanced students taught me a wrist-strengthening exercise to get them back in shape. He suggested doing it rapidly for a hundred times and then rest. Repeat up to four more times in a day to make them stronger. I think I’ll try it.

Day 123:

Today my wrists felt better, but they were stiff. I decided to show up for beginner class and work them into shape. Those wrist strengthening exercises really made them sore, so I should take it easy with them. Maybe once my wrists can handle it, I should use some free weights to do simple wrist strengthening exercises.

Once again, I was the target for the class, along with the other advanced students. Sensei was actually late today, probably because of his job. The sempai today actually asked me if he should go ahead and start the class on time or wait. I told him to start on time, so we did.

He led us in stretches and suburi. He actually chanted in a kind of singing voice that was very pleasant. He should lead the opening more often.

Sesnei did show up and he instructed us to make two lines. The dan side was anyone who had full bogu, including me. The other side was everyone else. We did kiri-kaeshi drills over and over. The students seemed really awkward doing the drills, so I gave them some advice, like keeping their left hand straight up and down instead of letting it drift side to side.

One of the students really seemed to lose her breath quickly in bogu and it reminded me of myself, so I gave her encouragement about pacing herself.

I actually stayed for advanced class afterwards. Instead of the hardcore practice we would normally do, it was just more of the beginner class with more difficult drills. I actually got to strike more often this time, so I could flex my wrists. Afterwards, they seemed almost normal now. I think I’ll keep working them and show up for advanced class from now on. Except for next week. We’re going to have balloon kendo and potluck dinner, show I’ll show up early there, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment