Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Beginner's Point of View 140-141

Day 140:

No class today as I am working at my job.

Day 141:

Sensei did not show up for class again. I suspect his job kept him away. Today I had a late shift at work to do after Kendo, so I went to the beginner class instead. We did a vigorous warm-up exercise and then separated immediately into two lines. Nearly all of us had bogu, so we practiced kiri-kaeshi. After that, we worked on basics over and over. We did one-step men, one-step kote, kote-men, and then slow doh strikes.

I learned that when expecting to do doh I have a bad habit of angling the shinai to the left as I raise it up. That’s bad as it tips off my opponent as to my intention. It also doesn’t help me when aiming for the side of the doh armor. I need to keep my shinai straight up and down when sparring or else I will wind up missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment