Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Beginner's Point of View 251-252

Day 251:

In Iaido, Sensei did not stay to teach. Instead he dropped off some paperwork and then had to leave. I continued to practice my rei-hou and my 1-2-4-6-7-12 over and over. I’m starting to put more force into the movements. I need to show confidence in my kata.

I had to leave after Iaido to work my job, so no Kendo.

Day 252:

In Iaido, it was only myself and another. So, we practiced our kata. I read a newsletter by our club and saw that Sensei was not planning to come as often, maybe even stop coming for a while. I hope that it not the case. Who would teach me kata with such personal attention? Obviously, the others could teach me new kata, but they aren’t comfortable teaching. I can hear it in their voices that they aren’t confident teaching others. They think of themselves as students and not teachers. Sensei always thought of himself as both teacher and student.

In another note, I’ve tried to add more of pulling back on the saya before drawing the sword. It makes for a smoother cut. Also, if I twist my wrist before chiburi downward, it makes a wooshing sound. I think it’s because the blade comes down straight instead of kinda-sideways.

In Kendo, we were working hard today. We were doing kiri-kaeshi, men-strike, kote-strike, and doh-strike over and over until I thought I would be totally out of breath. I was told that I was ‘cheating’ on doh. I need to raise up before coming down and not curving immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment