Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Beginner's Point of View 259-262.5

Day 259-262:

These classes have sped by fast. We are in preparation for the Kendo tournament this weekend.

In Iaido, I have been trying to kneel down in iai-heza like it has been suggested to me. That is painful. You need to curl your toes up on your left foot and then keep them up, including when you lean back after noto. That’s when it gets really painful. I need to shift my weight onto my knee to take the burden off my toes.

In Kendo, we have been working up to keiko and practice shiai. Men strikes, kote strikes, and doh strikes over and over, trying to get each perfect. In one of my practice matches, I went up against a nidan using nito. I used alternate kamae and speed to strike men twice. I tried using the “sticky doh” method to try to score a point, but the judges did not award it. I stuck with the quick men strike to win. The nito player seemed afraid whenever I would threaten tsuki. I would also try to use oji-waza to let him try to attack and then parry and counter-attack. I think I did well. However, our nidan is still learning nito. It will be much harder against an experienced nito player.

Day 262.5 Tournament:

I’ve never been to this part of the country before. My directions weren’t quite accurate on the last part, so I had to turn around a couple of times. Combine that with traffic from road construction and I wasn’t there when the doors opened. Good thing I made it in time for opening ceremonies and to check-in to inspect my shinais.

In mudansha division, I did my usual effort. I passed the first round as the winner. I got a by-in for the first match because of scheduling and I fought against an older woman for my first real match. It was an ikkyu-nikyu division, so I’m guessing she must have been nikyu. I decided to use my speed to defeat her and I was right. I scored two quick men strikes and advanced. My next opponent was all that was standing in my way to a third place medal. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of being “too nice”. My opponent came to tsuba-zeriai often and then would half-back away, then rapidly attack my men. After several strikes, the judges decided he had enough zanshin and gave him two points. I was disappointed. I should have gone after him more and with more energy.

In team matches, they put me on the A team this time, in second place. We faced a team I’ve never fought before. Watching the first match, I saw them stick like glue to tsuba-zeriai and stay there for the whole match, trying to ruffle their opponents into making mistakes of anger. I figured out to break the glue is to run into them and then propel them backwards. Too bad I wasn’t quite accurate enough to land a good strike or else I would have won my match. Nevertheless, our team lost because their captain did not do that tactic, instead he fought normally and edged out a victory.

The drive back was long and I was hungry when I got back. I think I should rest and recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment