Friday, July 1, 2011

A Beginner's Point of View 281-282

Day 281:

In Iaido, I practice my full regimen of 1-2-4-6-7-9-12. The fourth kata was painful for my foot, but I did it slowly and carefully. I’ll have to practice it more. The rest of the kata came naturally to me, even though my body was stiff. A couple of others got a lesson on doing the third kata. It was to round them out because they only knew the first two, or so I’m told. Since I was not asked to be included, I figured the lesson was not for me. So, I practiced my set. I did get some instruction. My tsuki in the sixth kata was too high. After the diagonal cut to the head, you must thrust under the sternum or else have the blade get caught. Imagine pushing downward as if severing the guts. I might ask for lessons on the third kata at a later date, after my sprains heal from the Kendo Tournament and Promotional.

In Basic Kendo class, I was asked to be motodachi again. It’s was kiri-kaeshi all throughout the class. We did it very slow. So slow that our strikes would ‘stick’ to the men before performing the next strike. At first, people didn’t get it, but after several reminders and demonstrations, they did it correctly. In fact, the lesson was a success as their strikes were getting more accurate. I got a correction from one of the instructors that my chudan-no-kamae was held out too far in front, exposing my kote. I never knew I did that. I wound up doing lots of kiri-kaeshi that day.

In Advanced Kendo, I decided to stay for the whole class. I drank some water and lined up. My wrist and ankle felt fine. We did a continuation of the kiri-kaeshi from Basic Class. Over and over, we did slow kiri-kaeshi. We also practiced menouchi and koteouchi. After the slow kiri-kaeshi, we found our strikes to be more accurate. There were several keikos to do. I felt tired and sluggish immediately, but I pushed myself. I wound up practicing my techiniques against jodan users. Dabana-kote (including a pair of really great debana-kote strikes), kaeshi doh, suriage men, and a failed attempt at nuki-men. I’ll work on that. I also did keiko with the beginners who stayed for Advanced Class. I remembered to show good form and loud kiai. I also remembered to allow them to strike openings on me for enthusiasm. On the down side, I think I twisted my wrist again and stressed my ankle. I may have to avoid advanced practice in the future.

Day 282:

In Iaido, I performed 1-2-4-6-7-9-12 again. I got some advice about keeping the tsuka in line with my forearm when thrusting behind myself in the fourth kata. It keeps the sword more stable when doing the thrust.

In Basic Kendo, we did lots of fumi-komi drills. Fumi-komi is my new weakness. We did the drill where two lines move across the floor, intersecting in the middle. You have to stagger when people cross the middle or else you’ll get hit. We worked fumi-komi and men strikes into it. When we finished, we did more of the slow kiri-kaeshi strikes. We started at half speed but worked up to a little faster to keep it flowing.

I did not stay for Advanced Class because of my wrist and ankle beginning to hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment