Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Beginner's Point of View 293-294

Day 293:

Today there was only myself and the instructor. It was a free class, so I worked on my 1-2-3-4-6-7-9-12 over and over. My sword was rattling again and I tried to remember to draw partway before flicking the saki outward. My left foot was stiff when doing the fourth kata, so the relaxing into the final position was painful.

Halfway through the class, the instructor commented that the reason I seem so awkward in my stances is because moving forward while swinging the iaito causes my momentum to move forward fully and I have to stop myself with effort. In Kendo, this is expected because we wish to charge past our opponent. In Iaido, we wish to stop in our tracks. We do this by not bringing our back foot as far when finishing a strike.

I asked to be taught the fifth kata so I could be ready for any promotional exam. The fifth kata can be awkward. You step forward with the right and then with the left foot. You rotated the saya to almost upside down and make ready for an upward diagonal cut. You partially draw the sword. You step forward with the right foot and draw the sword, bringing up in backhand not quite all the way. You turn the blade right side up, ready for the downstroke back the same path. You grip with both hands and cut down back the same path. You then step back into hasso-no-kamae and chiburi by swinging your right hand around and over your head. Noto and take three steps back with the right foot. This is a lot of awkward steps but it’s an interesting kata.

My left wrist is still aching from the injury even though I’m resting. I’ll go back to Kendo when I’m ready to use that tendon for tenouchi without hurting it. Even the instructors agreed with my decision.

Day 294:

Today was a day of routine. It was only the instructor and two of us beginners. However, today I decided to do my kata with enthusiasm. I slowed down and made each motion a full effort, with the bending of the wrist.

It worked! I’ve never felt so good about my kata as today. I was ‘feeling it’ when I did the motions. I felt the opponent in front of me. I ‘saw’ the cuts. I pulled back the saya to make the cuts smoother and quieter. I tried not to bring my left foot forward so much to stabilize. I flexed my right wrist to make the cuts and chiburi more smooth. The instructor watched me for a while and said nothing. Instead the instructor offered to answer questions I had. I didn’t have any because I was just working things out for myself.

I was not perfect. My finish of the fourth kata was still awkward. My stance after the first and second kata is still a little shaky. My ascent in the third kata is still not smoothed over. Still, I enjoyed class today.

My wrist is still injured. No Kendo just yet. Perhaps not even next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment