Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Beginner's Point of View 327-328

Day 327:

Today was a bad day all over. Bad day at work and bad day after work. In Iaido, I practiced the kata in order with plenty of room for the tenth and eleventh ones. I tried to modify my fourth kata to sit in iai-heza more like the instructor. I must have done something wrong because I absolutely crunched something on top of my foot. It hurt badly for the rest of Iaido class.

In Kendo, I was having some chest stress and lack of breath. I led the class in rei-hou and warm-ups. At the end of stretches, the instructor led us in more stretches and then commented how I’ve been lax for the past two weeks by missing a few stretches. It’s cold, so we need every stretch to avoid injury. Every time I shouted a repetition for suburi, it felt like I never got back a piece of my breath. By the end of suburi, I could not speak at all.

We did a long set of footwork drills, including one where we cross the floor in two lines weaving in and out of each other to practice timing. We went across the floor in a serpentine manner always facing the same direction, going forwards, left, right, and backwards. We even did it using partners all across the floor. We paired up for striking drills with kote but not men. We struck men, kote, and doh. The instructor was my partner for striking. He commented that I need to stop trying to strike sideways. Instead, I need to start swinging straight downward and then adjust on the way. That’s hard to do, but I did it successfully a few times.

Finally, I got the order to end class. I led the class in ending rei-hou. Finally, this day is over.

Day 328:

Today I have decided not to go to class. My chest has been sore all week and I haven’t recovered my breath from last class. I’m going to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment