Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Beginner's Point of View 459-460

Day 459:

Today was back to the carpet room. The dojo is not finished. We did three times the full set of kata. I asked the question about how it’s difficult to put my heel lower when my legs are so long. The instructor said to just do my best.

So, it was back to kata in Kendo. I was assigned a student and practiced the first three kata until he improved. Then I taught him the fourth kata. Afterwards there was still time in class, so we had to do the fifth. I needed a refresher, so I watched an instructor do the fifth kata and then performed it with him to demonstrate. I taught the steps of the fifth kata to the student, both uchidachi and shidachi, until he understood the basics.

Day 460:

Today we were back into the dojo, sanded floor and everything. It was clear the workers were not finished since the floor did not have a new sealant on it, but at least it was sanded. There was a lot of building supplies to move. It seemed by the time the floor was prepared there was only time to do two sets of kata in Iaido.

In Kendo, we went back to the rigorous sets of warm-ups, suri-ashi, kiri-kaehsi, men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, ai-0ouchi-men, and kakari-geiko. After a few sets of kakari-egeioko, I had to sit out. After what seemed like only a few minutes, I was back to health and ready to put on men. The drill I was missing was hot seat, a favorite of mine. It’s where a single recover stands in the middle and the class takes turns attacking for several seconds at a time. It builds stamina and quick-thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment