Sunday, June 29, 2014

A Beginner's Point of View 586-587

Day 586:

I was able to finish three sets of Iaido today. That felt good. Keeping metsuke can be hard when the weather is humid. The new student has kneepads now so his sliding on the floor for seated kata. Today was really hot and humid.

In kendo class, it was the WORST DAY EVER. I have never had such a horrible practice in my Kendo career. I could not strike a simple men-ouchi even once all day. My arms would not raise above horizontal all day. I think I was tense and could not feel it. Among the drills that I could not complete are kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, ai-ouchi-men, step-men, and step-men-follow-up-men.

Day 587:

In Iaido, I could only finish 2.67 sets of kata. I was really off-kilter all practice. Very distracted and thinking about my errors. The new student is getting better. He also seems to arrive earlier than I do regularly to start sweeping.

Today, Kendo was a better class than last class. I slowed down and calmed down a lot. We did kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, ai-men-ouchi, men-men-ouchi, step-men, and kakari-geiko. A couple of times, the sweat and heat inside my men made me not understand the drills. I would retaliate when I should have just let my partner hit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment