Thursday, October 2, 2014

A Beginner's Point of View 614-615

Day 614:

Today I was more focused. I got through 2 full sets of Iaido and then the next 10 kata. I was getting focused for the next class.

In Kendo class, my student did not show up. He had some function at his school. So, I joined the regular class. After suburi, we launched into a long string of endurance drills. Men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, doh-ouchi, and then ji-geiko. We resumed with kakari-geiko and then practiced on some advanced waza.

We started with kote-men-ouchi and then moved up to ai-kote-kote-men-ouchi. We did ji-geiko and had a good drill in kiri-otoshi-men. You need to have plenty of space or else you’ll be too close. I took shorter steps to prepare. We finished class with ji-geiko and kiri-kaeshi.

Day 615:

In Iaido class, there was no clock. It was battery-dead and taken down. Our treasurer had to keep time for us to keep moving with new exercises. The weird passing of time means that I did 2 sets of Iaido regular and then did the last set with random kata thinking that it was almost over for class.

In Kendo class, we did suburi and okuri-ashi. Then we did some hard, repetitive waza with 5, 7, and 9 iterations each. It was men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, doh-ouchi, kote-men-ouchi, and kote-suriage-men. The new drill was to push the shinai aside and then strike men. You can mess it up if you over push the sword. We then finished with multiple 60-second ji-geikos. What a way to end a practice. I had more energy and stamina today than normal. I wasn’t push the to edge and that was comfortable. Last drill was kiri-kaeshi and that reminded me of my student not being present.

No comments:

Post a Comment