Sunday, January 11, 2015

A Beginner's Point of View 642-643

Day 642:

Well, it’s back to practice. My thumb is stiff but not painful. Time to work it back into shape. For Iaido class, I got 3 sets of kata done but I was really wobbly on the draw for the first three kata. My thumb isn’t used to the weight of the sword.

In Kendo class I had no problems. I could do suburi and kihon just fine. When pushing myself during higher waza suach as kote-suriage-men, I kinda partially-sprained my left big toe, but not very much. It’ll be fine by the end of the week.

I had a good time with keiko with the dojo. The students really needed to recover from the holiday break by striking openings and I like to be able to try the advanced techniques such as men-kaeshi-doh. I nearly tripped on the stair again. Tapping my heel against the step gave me a sensory flashback to the pain of the original injury. That shook me for the rest of class.

Day 643:

Today was better for Iaido. My thumb is slowly getting better from the exercise. I completed 3 sets of kata and was not quite as wobbly.

In kendo class, we started by doing the first 6 kata of the bokutou kinhon kata. The senseis said we were going to dedicate 2 nights per months to include the kata so lower-ranking students could be prepared for the promotion exams that will start by the end of the year. The rest of class went well. We practiced men0nuk-doh and my toe is getting better, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment