Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Beginner's Point of View 70-71

Day 70:

Today was a hard day of trying to perfect men strikes. We kept learning to move our bodies before moving our swords. We also learned more about maai. When you couple motion and distance, then it all comes down to timing. Head Sensei says, “It’s all about timing. You do things in sequence. First, move the spirit by kiai. Then you move the body to the proper place to step. Finally, you move the shinai to your target. If you have good spacing, then your timing will be perfect. If you are too close or too far away, then your timing is off and it will not be a good strike.” We performed the drill where you attack men, and then follow up with a body check. On the last repetition, your partner steps aside and you pass on through. It’s still supposed to be “One Kendo”, however. You act the same in both cases.

Today I also found it difficult to adapt to different people’s way of speaking. Usually when we practice, if Sensei calls out to “form two lines”, then we all move to form two lines of equal length as closely as possible. Apparantly, when Head Sensei says to “form two lines”, he will sometimes mean that only Dans will be on one side, especially if he points out specific people. This means more often than not that the lines will not be of equal length. My misunderstanding led me to think I was supposed to fill out the far line when I wasn’t supposed to. Sempai took the time to correct me as she should, but it’s still confusing. I guess in the future I shouldn’t fill out lines unless personally told to.

We also learned some more of the finer points of kata. We learned that you do not tuck your elbows in tightly when in jodan, or else you rob yourself of power. Also, you need to move with your partner in a smooth, flowing manner. If you move in jerking motions, then you are not training your body to recognize the same Kendo as in keiko.

Day 71:

No class today as I am not feeling well.

Sensei has sent out the applications for the seminar and testing that our dojo is hosting in a couple of months. He says it’s about time I took another test. I had originally thought that my next testing would be at the tournament a couple of months past this upcoming seminar, but I’m thinking about testing at the seminar. All I need to do is pass one rank and then I’ll be poised to test again next spring. It’s a compelling idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment