Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Beginner's Point of View 72-73

Day 72:

No class as I am working late at my job.

Day 73:

Today’s class was better than usual. We actually did a full stretching before class, including suburi. It’s getting to the point where I like the suburi better than keiko. After that, we did the bowing-in ceremony and put on men and kote. Head Sensei set up lines where we would rotate in and out performing the various drills. We did kiri-kaeshi several times and then men strikes.

After a few rotations, Head Sensei would stop us, then give an explanation of various good points of Kendo. He would explain proper distance. He would explain good posture. He explained many things that seem like little things, but they all add up to something bigger. We then set up to do drills where we would strike kote and move into tai-atari, then we would strike men and go into tai-atari. We did this over and over until the last strike, where we would pass through. Against Head Sensei, he preferred we strike him kote, men, and then doh. He wanted to see us try to strike doh well. I need to learn to reach more when striking kote, but at least I would reach when striking men.

Finally, we did keiko. In my first keiko, after a few strikes, my shinai got caught inside my partner’s shinai. It was surreal the way his bamboo staves parted to allow my whole shinai end through them. When we pulled them free, we checked our shinais over carefully. Nothing seemed to be broken, but I had tons of splinters in mine. Ever since the last tournament, I’ve started carrying sandpaper in my bogu bag. I felt very smart today for having it. I sanded out most of the splinters, just enough to be good enough for practice. However, right at that time, practice ended. During class, Sempai had told me that I was turning my left foot outward again. If I had pushed off for a fast step, I could twist my ankle painfully. I hate the Kendo walk. I can honestly see the logic behind standing in such a manner as it gives you stability and quick power, but it feels so unnatural. I’ll just have to deal with it.

Class ended with kata again. My partner and I only knew katas 1 and 2, while most everyone else also knew 3. So, we did them over and over until we were more practiced. Head Sensei gave me a pointer that said as uchidachi in the first kata, I need to lean over while striking downward for power. After all of the classes where everyone would correct me by saying not to lean over, now I have to lean over. How ironic.

No comments:

Post a Comment