Monday, September 19, 2011

A Beginner's Point of View 303-304

Day 303:

In Iaido class, I performed my normal routine. I was getting the hang of the draw for the first kata, but the steps for the fifth were beginning to elude me. When I concentrate on not rattling the sword upon draw, I step too far. If I correct my steps, I rattle upon draw. Class was crowded, so I only performed the seventh kata twice to avoid coming too close to others.

In beginner Kendo, we had a full class. There were new bright lights and ceiling fans to swirl the air, so it was not so hot. Inside the bogu was still very warm and we sweat, but it was much better. We did lots of suburi, including explanations and footwork drills. We then put on men and became motodachi for the students. One explanation at the end of the class was the three ways to kill the opponent. Kill their spirit with kiai, kill their sword by pushing it aside, and kill their techinique by altering the spacing. It was a good lecture.

In advanced Kendo, we did a round of kiri-kaeshi, men, kote, suriage-men, harai-kote, and aiouchi-men. In between each drill, we had a short ji-geiko using the waza we just practiced. There was a short practice test for all of the candidates destined to take the ikkyu exam.

Then we did kata. I love kata. Myself and the other shodan teamed up with the instructor to learn the ins and outs of the sixth Kendo kata. The uchidachi role is to show all bad mistakes. The uchidachi comes out in chudan and feels pressure from the shidachi. The uchidachi steps back into jodan and then steps back into chudan. He then gives a lazy attempt at sashi-kote, which is parried by the shidachi. The uchidachi has his kote cut by the shidachi, who then carves up the shoulder into jodan. The uchidachi steps back, turning the left shoulder away form the shidachi, as if cowering. After the shidachi steps back into line, the uchidachi steps back into line.

Day 304:

In Iaido class, I performed my normal routine, but slowed my draw of the sword. It nearly totally ceased its rattle and it allowed me to draw it smoothly for a more definitive cut. I think I’ll keep doing that.

In beginner Kendo, we did lots of suburi. There were beginners in the class, so the instructor spoke a lot about how to perform the cuts. Afterwards, we did footwork drills. I put on men and performed the role of motodachi for the students to practice their men and kote drills. The ones without bogu or uniform just practiced menouchi.

In advanced Kendo, we did alternating drills of waza and then ji-geiko with the same partner right after using that technique. It was different and interesting. We had lots of ji-geikos. At the end, the instructor picked a student testing for ikkyu. All of us dans would fight a full keiko with that student one after another, pushing him to his limits. The last two matches had him huffing and puffing hard. He took to leaning over out of breath after striking men. We kept yelling at him to stand up straight and push himself. The last instructor had the student do a drill just like Head Sensei. “One more men! One more men! One more men! One more men!” Over and over until the student struck men perfectly. After practice, we wished him well and each dan gave him advice. My advice to him was to stop planning so much. He needed to feel his opportunity and then finish his strike. I also suggested to him not to lean over, no matter how out of breath. That signals that you give up, which is bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment