Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Beginner's Point of View 305-306

Day 305:

In Iaido class I continued my slow draw of the sword. It seems as if all of my kata are improving by the slow draw of the sword. It seems as if I draw the sword halfway and pull back the saya the other half. The flick of the sword it just a finishing move. I wonder if that’s right.

Today there was a packed class, but only two instructors. After warm-ups, had a lot of footwork drills. I had to keep the class organized for the instructor. Once, we did so much fumi-komi that the instructor’s clipboard and papers fall over. Without thinking, I raced over to clean it up. I’m not toadying so much as automatically keeping the class running smooth instead having the instructor to stop and fix it himself.

In advanced Kendo class, we did a lot of basic waza drills, like two oh-men, two sashi-men, two oh-kote, and then two sashi-kote (all as a single drill). We also did a hotseat drill with one of us taking on a whole line of kenshi one at a time, over and over. We would rotate out constantly, performing such things as kote-suriage-men or men-kaeshi-doh. Too bad we had no time for kata.

Day 306:

Sensei was at Iaido class today. He moved a little stiffly, but deliberately. Myself, I tried to incorporate more saya-biki in my first two kata. I did ask the instructor for whether or not the gaze for the third kata would shift from the center. He replied that you always keep your gaze upon your opponent, but after the slice you lower your gaze slightly and then noto.

In Kendo, we did warm-ups and suburi. Then we had the motodachi put on kote and practice kihon kata, which is the menouchi kata and the koteouchi kata with the bokken instead of the shinai.

In advanced Kendo, there were only four of us. So, we had a hard practice of lots of ji-geiko and a full four rounds of four-square. The ceiling fans were running slower than usual, so there was not a cool breeze churning up the humid air like usual. We were sweating a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment