Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Beginner's Point of View 423-424

Day 423:

Today I did three full sets of Iaido. Today was a bad day. I had a headache and an uneasy stomach all day. I did some awkward cutting vertically downward because of that. So, I just let it go and kept at it. It seemed as if I could only remember to use metsuke or bring the sword directly above my head after a cut, not both.

Day 424:

Today I decided to pace myself. I only accomplished two sets, but that was by design. I had a question about hakamas. I’ve seen some Iaidoka tuck in their hakama after kneeling in seiza and others leave it alone. Often, on leg of my hakama is splayed wider than the other and I wonder if I should do something about it. The instructor said not to bother. It was most important about economy of motion. Tucking is an extra step unless I need to do it to avoid stepping on my hakama.

I went back to Kendo for one night. The instructor made sure to let me know about stepping out if I needed to. I survived stretches and suburi fairly well. I also completed footwork drills, although I’m out of practice timing my fumi-komi and swings. I stepped into line for waza drills and was doing well. However, I started losing my breath. Even having a break halfway through didn’t help that much. I had to step out. I watched the others finish waza and then perform kakari-geiko. I still led ending rei-hou. It was a good practice, but I think I have more healing to do. I can’t wait to visit the doctor again in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment