Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Beginner's Point of View 441-442

Day 441:

Today I really had a lot of energy. I did three sets by the time the class was half over. I did a few spare kata before I noticed something. The instructor was holding his iaito differently than I was. He always had the blade facing towards the opponent where my hands were twisting it sideways. It was just a natural motion, but apparently, it’s making my chiburi harder.

I started keeping the blade straight forward and then only flexing my elbow and wrist. I did twist the blade towards the new plane of motion. Then I did better chiburi seeing only the back side of the blade when it stopped moving.

Day 442:

I did three sets of kata today at a normal pace. I didn’t do a big enough saya-biki several times, causing the sword to rattle coming out on the draw. Also, one of the instructors let me know that on the sixth kata I was not raising the sword high enough before swinging downward. I slowed down my steps, giving myself enough time to raise up higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment