Thursday, November 14, 2013

A Beginner's Point of View 527-528

Day 527:

We had one of our regular Guest Sensei practice with us. It was fun seeing him again. Today we did a lot of conditioning exercises. Several iterations of the same drill over and over. Kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, doh-ouchi, ai-ouchi-men, kote-suriage-men, and men-suriage-men. We finished with a few rounds of ji-geiko. It was interesting fighting against Guest Sensei. If I push myself to the limit, I could match him in the short term. I was able to speed my sword to hit his kote to beat his defense to make him smile.

Day 528:

Today was more conditioning. At the end of practice, Sensei said the drills were the shinai versions of the bokutou kihon kata being pushed by the Kendo Federation. We started with kiri-kaeshi and then did the sequence of men, kote, doh, tsuki, kote-men, kote-suriage-men, men-debana-kote, and men-nuki-men. There were a few more but I don’t remember the entire series. We finished with some ji-geiko and moved into kata.

I love kata. I teamed with a student to sharpen our first five kata. He’s really coming along. I took the time to demonstrate my seme in kata.

No comments:

Post a Comment