Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A Beginner's Point of View 531-532

Day 531:

Today was a hard practice as one of the instructors are going away on a trip before next class. We did several rounds of kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, ji-geiko with only men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, ji-geiko with men-ouchi and kote-ouchi, kote-men-ouchi, harai-men, ji-geiko with kote-men-ouchi, doh-ouchi, and 4-man kakari-geiko.

Afterwards, both instructors gave me advice on my progress towards nidan. Sensei told me that I need to keep my arms and shoulder loose so I don’t tense my right arm before a strike. The instructor had a nice, long lecture with me with metaphysics. I like those discussions since I like to consider the philosophical side of things. He said that now I need to stop looking for new things. Instead, I need to take all the pieces that I have and make them connect more smoothly. I also need to understand the ‘why’ side of things. Why do I strike? Why do I strike now? Why did I not strike over there? Why did I not strike sooner or later? It’s starting to come together.

I’m also not doing fumi-komi right. Apparently, the example of ‘charging up stairs’ is not quite correct. I need to ‘step over a puddle’ instead. Now I need to unlearn fumi-komi and learn it all over again.

Day 532:

Today is the day before a holiday. Only Sensei is there. He sent a message to all of us in the advanced class to try to show up early so the beginner class is not empty. All of us showed up for a big class.

Sensei asked me to lead the class. I had to rely on memory to lead the class. Rei-hou, stretching, and suburi came naturally. I had to make sure to give every stretch because it was cold.

Sensei had us put on men right away. We practiced men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, doh-ouchi, and men-debana-kote-ouchi. Afterwards, we did a few rounds of ji-geiko. The last ji-geiko I fought Sensei. I’m not sure if he was taking it easy on me or if I was really fighting him evenly matched. Maybe it’s just because I know his patterns well.

No comments:

Post a Comment