Thursday, December 19, 2013

A Beginner's Point of View 537-538

Day 537:

Tonight was only myself and the instructor. We had a short, but intense practice. We started a hard practice of kiri-kaeshi and men-ouchi. Suddenly, the instructor stopped us and commented how I’m leaning on my forward foot.

We had a nice, long discussion on the body and how shifting your center of gravity makes a difference. We then adjusted our footwork and practiced with the new footwork. It made me slower but my attacks were smoother. My fumi-komi also seemed to improve. I didn’t have to raise my front foot up high anymore. After some men-ouchi, kote-suriage-men, and ji-geiko. The instructor commented about how I no longer telegraph my moves.

Day 538:

I showed up to Iaido practice. From now on, I need to go back to Iaido practice and get back into shape for the upcoming seminar in the spring. I did all of the kata three times. My muscle memory kicked in and reminded me of each move. I may have remembered the moves, but I was really wobbly no my feet. Gotta get back into shape, I guess.

In basic Kendo practice, we did suburi, men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, and doh-ouchi. Then we lined up for hotseat. I started in the hotseat and fought everyone using the new footwork. I was doing very well. After rotating through the entire line, we had a final 3-minute ji-geiko. I fought against my fellow shodan. With the new footwork, I dominated him. By the end of the ji-geiko we were evenly matched. I should really remember to stay on my back foot.

Next two weeks practice is cancelled because of the holiday. The week afterwards we will be back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment