Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Beginner's Point of View 539-540

Day 539:

Today was the first Iaido practice in months and the first practice of the year. I remember the kata, but my ankles do not. My right bicep and the tops of my ankles feel sprained. Also my sword cuts are wobbly. I need to relax my arms as I draw.

In basic Kendo class, I stepped into suburi and kept up with the class. I guess all those advanced classes have helped my health. After putting on men and kote, we did kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, and a few rounds of ji-geiko. Standing more on my back foot seems to really help.

Day 540:

In Iaido, I did three sets of kata quickly, trying too hard to get back into shape. My ankles are really sore, especially after sitting in tate-heiza. I did a few spare kata of 1, 6, 7, and 9 to practice.

In basic Kendo, I stepped in for okuri-ashi. After some footwork, we did some basic fumi-komi drills, which hurt my left ankle. Darned tate-heiza. Still, taking it easy and shortening my stride saved my ankle. We did some renzuko-men and put on men.

We practiced some hard repetitions of kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, doh-ouchi, kakari-geiko, and a round of ji-geiko. I faced off against Sensei and scored some points. I think I’m getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment