Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Beginner's Point of View 541-542

Day 541:

In Iaido class, I got to practice one and a half full sets of kata. After that, we got a lecture of proper techniques and then got to perform two practice tests. My first time was 5:30 and my second time was 5:38. Both are acceptable, but I should be aiming for 5:45. Slowing down and taking two breaths between kata helps your time. After class, I made sure to remind our treasurer about my need for my Iaido zekken. Just to be sure it will get done.

In Kendo, we had a new student join us. After suburi, we worked a lot on okuri-ashi. I made sure to stay on my back foot and step forward smoother. I made sure to fumi-komi a little shorter and gentler rather than harder. Then we broke and put on men. We practiced kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, doh-ouchi, kakari-geiko, and ji-geiko.

Day 542:

In Iaido class I got through two sets of kata before we got to do another practice test. I forgot about the mii-jo command. I got caught in mid rei-hou and had to start again. I gotta remember that one. I got a time of 5:53. Pretty good but I should probably be a smidge faster.

In Kendo, I was asked by Sensei to teach the new student about footwork and basic strikes. Suri-ashi, men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, doh-ouchi, and a familiarization with the suburi.

Head Sensei showed up and taught the advanced class. I do not have time to stay for advanced class if I practice Iaido. Too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment