Friday, July 17, 2015

A Beginner's Point of View 696-697

Day 696:

The doctor gave me some medicine and I feel better. Good enough for Iaido class.

In Iaido, my reflexes are dull and my limbs are unsteady. I just barely completed three sets of kata plus a few spare kata.

I did not plan to practice Kendo so I planned to just go home. However, our other nidan did not show up. Sensei needed me to teach our new beginner. Good thing I brought my shinai to class. I took him through lessons of footwork, kihon waza, and answered questions about shinais.

Day 697:

I feel even better. Still, I’ll wait until next week for Kendo.

In Iaido class, I completed three sets of kata. Sensei gave a short lesson about drawing the sword in the third kata. You must put tension in the wrist so the blade springs up to catch the opponent’s attack.

I was told by Sensei that I wouldn’t need to teach. Our other nidan showed up. However, Sensei went to class and asked me to tech again. I repeated the last lesson, except made 2-step men into 1-step men. I also merged footwork and striking. This makes him closer to joining the class. About 2 weeks in and he’s almost ready for kiri-kaeshi.

Next week and I plan to join Kendo. I just hope I don’t overdo it.

No comments:

Post a Comment