Friday, September 18, 2015

A Beginner's Point of View 714-715

Day 714:

Today was a better day. I did 3 full sets of kata in Iaido.

However, in Kendo I was lacking in energy. After suburi and kihon we did many men-ouchi strikes. I was really getting sluggish inside. I haven’t felt this bad since I had liver damage.

Sensei has been striking the newest young student, albeit gently. I asked if I could do so also. I hate it when I get paired with her and she doesn’t get the entire experience. Still, Sensei said it was okay if I was gentle. So, I only tap her. She seems eager to receive strikes like a full student.

At the end of class it was balloon Kendo for her birthday. She took us all on gauntlet-style. My balloon popped in 3 seconds. Sensei said it was a dojo record. Great. She did have several good strikes for someone so young.

Day 715:

Today had lousy traffic, everyone showed up late. I only got to complete 2 sets of kata in Iaido. I asked Sensei about the fifth kata in hasso-no-kamae. He said the cutting edge is off by 45 degrees, not straight ahead. The follow-up strike follows the plane of the sword from the down cut.

In Kendo, after suburi it was a beginner class. We did a lot of kihon strikes and then immediately into ji-geiko.

Afterwards, we had a class in kata. Finally! I needed lessons in shoto kata. I actually got to practice uchidachi kata. I really need more practice. I know all of the pieces for uchidachi and shidachi, but not the order to put them in. For example, the uchidachi uses left jodan, gedan, and chudan, in that order.

No comments:

Post a Comment