Saturday, October 10, 2015

A Beginner's Point of View 720-721

Day 720:

No class today as I am injured.

Day 721:

No class today as I am injured.

Day 721.5:

I had made an appointment to see a sword vendor to get my iaito’s saya fixed. The wooden inside was wearing uneven and even the narrow part in front of the cutting edge had worn away totally. I was worried that one unlucky draw would crack the saya.

I was actually invited to practice at his dojo with his students for a day while getting my saya repaired. I took this opportunity to practice Iaido with another dojo to see how they do things. However, some details came to light. The dojo practices Jodo as well as Muso-Shinden Ryu. I only practice Seitei-Gata. However, the sensei decided to alter class to be more accommodating to me. I felt very honored that way.

When I met the sensei, he examined my sword just as much as my saya. He then told me that my sword was a cheap knock-off sword made in China. The tsuka had even thickness in front as well as in back. That’s not supposed to be the way it’s made. The narrowing in front reflects the cutting edge which reminds you of the plane of the sword. The blade has a twist to it and the wood is not Japanese wood in the saya.

After being so very disappointed in my sword, I went to the dojo. I was given a jo and asked to follow along with the class practicing kata. The movements were so different and designed to deflect swords and then counter-strike. I could tell an amusing joke about how I was practicing anti-Kendo and feeling dirty about it. Never mind. It was still interesting and fun.

Sensei walked in and gave me my iaito, showing me my saya. He glued a piece of wood where the vacant place was. I feel more confident drawing it now.

In Iaido class, we only did two kata, but we really went in depth. Sensei talked a lot about technique and showed many examples of what to do and not to do. He also was the type to tell many jokes and make many not-serious jibes with students who were his friends. That’s different, but he’s high-ranking, so there’s no criticism at all.

We practiced the fifth and ninth katas. Sensei actually asked me for a request. I requested the ninth kata. I tried to follow sensei’s instructions as best as I could. Among other things, my flaw of using too much muscle was exposed. I do use my muscles a lot because my iaito is steel.

I should also state that the opening and closing rei-hou were slightly different. We would intentionally pull our hakama in tight to our legs and put the sword on the right side. My own rei-hou seems very abridged. Is it? Or is this just different? I guess I’ll just have to trust my sensei.

At the end of the day, I wanted to buy a new sword which was Japanese. However, sensei said he wouldn’t sell me a sword today. He wanted me to try my current sword and then shop around. I think my sword is okay for at least a little while. However, I still want a better one. Sensei did tell me not to go to aluminum. The lack of weight would give me injuries later in my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment