Thursday, October 15, 2015

A Beginner's Point of View 722-723

Day 722:

In Iaido, I made sure to try to do what my previous lesson taught me. I slowed down and only had time to do 2 sets of kata. I was able to remember to perform flat shinden-style noto. After class, I told Sensei about the comment about my left hand being open. He said he’ll try to pay attention.

In Kendo, we had a basic practice. We did kihon, kote-men, and uchikomi-geiko. We finished with ji-geiko for those who had bogu.

We stopped early for kata. I was in a group of three to practice all 10 kata. I got to practice both uchidachi and shidachi sides. I messed up the third kata and did not make the contact on the uchidachi side of the 8th kata. However, I got comments about how continuing to go forward with the kata as if no error. I need to practice the kata over and over.

Day 723:

In Iaido, I got to go 2.75 sets of kata. It’s getting easier to keep the saya flat for noto. This time I added not using my muscles but just guide the sword. The best way is to only cut with only the left arm.

In Kendo, it was Sensei’s turn to teach the beginner but he asked our shodan to teach. We got to practice okuri-ashi, kihon, kote-men, men-suriage-men, kiri-kaeshi, and ji-geiko. During the last couple of ji-geiko I really was very tired. In the last ji-geiko I nearly stopped breathing, so I had to just bait and counter-attack. I did completely dominate Sensei during our ji-geiko with three men-ari, a kote-ari, and almost a perfect doh-ari. After practice, he admitted his left leg spasmed and stopped moving. The lack of forward momentum made it easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment