Saturday, January 9, 2016

A Beginner's Point of View 746-747

Day 746:

In Iaido, I completed 2.5 sets. I think Sensei needs to put us through some practice exams soon.

In Kendo, we started the new year. Sensei put us through some strengthening exercises. We did some of the leg stretches from Iaido cutting down while kneeling down forward on one knee. Then repeat for the other knee going forward across the floor and back. We did tweo sets when someone boasted we could do a third. The third one got me hurting badly. I only went down a little bit instead of to the floor for the third. It is good exercise. Maybe doing this lots of times will help. We also did a good drill with striking men against our partner’s shinai with only wrists. This was good but tiring.

We then did a lot of basic kihon drills with ji-geiko.

Day 747:

In Iaido I did 2.75 sets of kata. We talked about how the dates for the seminar are set but the registration form is not ready. I need to budget time from work.

In Kendo, we had a guest sensei show up. He’s really good at Kendo. Our class did lots of kiri-kaeshi, kihon, kote-men, and ji-geiko. I tried to really bring my best Kendo for my match with the guest sensei. I got to score a point against him and he scored against me.

After class, I asked for advice on the sandan exam. He hesitated but gave me a lecture about how I don’t have center at all. Also, I’m leaning backwards instead of standing up straight. It’s slowing me down. My sense of center is off. Geesh, I’m not anywhere near ready for the sandan exam. I need to re-invent my Kendo back to basics. I don’t think I should take the exam.

No comments:

Post a Comment