Thursday, March 31, 2016

A Beginner's Point of View 770-771

Day 770:

In Iaido class, I got to practice 2.5 sets of kata plus number eleven a few times. It’s actually much easier to make the first cut at the angle when I do not draw to right jodan above my head.

In Kendo class, it was time for lots of repetitions of kiri-kaeshi and kihon. We then practiced quick-men and quick-kote. At some point, I noticed that my Sinai had several deep splinters and my cheat had some pain. I stepped out to sand my shinai and calm down.

Day 771:

In Iaido class, I got to practice 2.5 sets of kata before time ran out. Sensei had a discussion with us about the right cut in the seventh kata. A sensei said it was a vertical cut but we’ve been taught by other sensei that it was angular. The official manual says it’s diagonal but a steep angle.

In Kendo class, we had a Guest Sensei. After kiri-kaeshi and kihon, we had several lessons about oji-waza such as kote-nuki-men. I was able to complete the lessons but against higher ranking people I seem to get hit. However, I don’t notice that I’m getting hit. I just need to raise up higher next time. We had long sessions of ji-geiko which nearly tired me out.

Today was a bad mental health day. I kept getting distracted by bad thoughts and bad fatigue. This means that the ji-geiko against Guest Sensei was terrible and not worth remembering. I hope a good night’s sleep will fix that.

No comments:

Post a Comment