Monday, March 30, 2009

A Beginner's Point of View 30-31

Day 30:

Well, I received a lesson in humility today. We started off with hauling out the full-length mirrors and standing in places in front of them. We practiced footwork and swinging while watching ourselves to see if we are moving straight or if we are pulling off to the side. I seemed to be doing well, with only a few minor corrections by sempai.

After that was done, we put on our men and kote and spent most of practice receiving kiri-kaeshi. It was a good exercise, although I was having trouble keeping my footwork steady. I kept trying to invent a way to figure out which foot goes back first, only to lose it when it came time to actually put into practice. Eventually, I learned to use my opponent’s shinai is an indicator. If they swing to my left, I move my right foot. They also start on my left side. So, I take a Kendo step back using the left foot first, then alternate.

However, when it came to the end of class, my last few receives for kiri-kaeshi became sloppy. I missed a step and wound up on the wrong footing. Finally, we gave kiri-kaeshi as a finale. My footwork became horrible. I had a total disconnect between my arms and my legs while giving kiri-kaeshi. Even I was embarrassed as I tried to correct myself. Sempai called for me to finish the last part twice before giving up on me at the last part. She gave me a lecture about how perhaps I put on bogu too soon. She thought that clearly it was interfering with my timing and that I should have waited up to another three months before buying it. I can see her point, but I have to question it. How is it that I can suburi just fine (not perfect, but acceptable), but kiri-kaeshi suffers?

A long, agonizing drive back home after practice, I came to the conclusion that I was trying to perform the kiri-kaeshi too fast for my skill level. My old Foil Fencing instructor told me, “Form first, then speed.” I think I should remember for next time that I should just step through the exercise one step at a time and not try to mimic the advanced students helping me. Even if it looks goofy, it will be a correct kind of goofy (which is better than the mess I was showing).

At the end, sempai picked me to lead us in the closing ceremony. I had studied the opening and closing ceremonies very closely. However, we sometimes do then a tad differently than listed in our instruction page. Also, I was too upset from my terrible performance in kiri-kaeshi to remember very well. Another advanced student led me though the ceremony by quietly reciting the phrases, and I shouted them afterwards. It was slightly different then how we did it last week, such as the student actually called “Otagai ni rei” instead of the sempai. After today, I think I shall be a long time before being invited to the advanced class. Probably for the best.

Day 31:

Due to the bad ice storm, the dojo is expected to be closed today. Maybe I”ll work on some of my kiri-kaeshi in the kitchen. I just need something short to simulate a shinai that won’t strike the ceiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment