Monday, March 30, 2009

A Beginner's Point of View 32-33

Day 32:

Today was much better. We spent the entire class practicing aspects of kirikaeshi and some of the final bit of class practicing men and kote strikes. It's all part of the plan to get us ready for testing at the end of next month. Sensei took over teaching this time. We constantly gave and received kiri-kaeshi with each other over and over.

My kiri-kaeshi is getting better when I don't hurry or rush. My men strikes are sharper and my footwork is more coordinated when I take it slowly. I need to practice kiri-kaeshi over and over this way until I perfect it at slower speeds, then increase my pace. As my old Foil Fencing instructor said, "Form first, then speed". I think that's also true in Kendo.

With only about ten minutes left in class, we stopped doing kiri-kaeshi and just walked across the room practicing strikes. We did men strikes, turned around, then did men strikes going back. Over and over again we repeated it, no breaks. Then, we did the same with kote strikes. Over and over again we repeated it, no breaks. I was getting winded. I wanted a rest. Then, we did it again with kote-men strikes. Over and over again we repeated it, no breaks. I was exhausted. I wanted nothing more than to collapse form fatigue. However, I found the extra energy to stay upright. It actually seemed to me that the more I got physically tired, the more my spirit increased. My body wanted to collapse, but my mind wanted to keep practicing.

Day 33:

Today was the best kiri-kaeshi practice yet. I say this because my men strikes were getting sharper and I was actually coordinating my footwork together with my strikes. I also did not get quite as tired this time. Last class I was visually sagging my shoulders at the end because of exhaustion. This time I was not. I was breathing hard, but not to exhaustion. I think my endurance is getting better.

Our Head Sensei was here tonight. He gave a good lecture about the progress of the class’s kiri-kaeshi. He said that we were practicing a “low kiri-kaeshi” and that was good. However, we should now move up to practicing a higher level of kiri-kaeshi. The exercise is not just mindlessly stepping through the moves, it is about intimidating our opponent. We wish to drive them back and take their space. This opens up opportunities to strike men that our opponent does not wish to give up. He also said that in the end, our kiri-kaeshi must “flow like water” into one “very long” movement. He demonstrated techniques in kiri-kaeshi that were very advanced. He did seem to flow like water and yet be both powerful and fast.

Perhaps next time I will receive kiri-kaeshi and practice that. I need to practice both giving and receiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment