Monday, March 23, 2009

A Beginnner's Point of View 5

Day 5:
Today was different than the others. Normally, all of the beginning students train together. However, there were few of us and sensei had an errand to run. So, we rushed through stretches and then segregated the class. Our normal instructor took myself and one other beginner off to the side while another senior student took the rest (a few showed up late to fill the ranks).

Our small group was put through remedial exercises of kendo stance and proper footwork. I cannot speak for the other student, but I needed that workout. Our instructor took great pains to assure us that we were not considered "lesser" because of this particular day. We simply needed to work on more basic drills than the others. If the others worked with us, they would not gain as we would. If we went through their drills, we would not improve our basics that they have mastered. Personally, as an engineer, I agree with this idea. The only problem was that since we all shared the same dojo, their kiai shouts drowned out our instructor. So, half of what she said was missed by us. Fortunately, I could guess what she was going to say since she's said it to me several times before. Having a larger practice area so the two groups could be farther away from each other would have helped, but that's something that's beyond my control.

For the whole practice, the other student and myself would simply practice walking in Kendo stance across the room and back. A lot of good questions were asked and all of them were answered. I think I've improved my stance somewhat. It turns out that proper stance does not place your weight on your front foot. It goes on the back foot. Instead of your body pulling your back leg along, you are supposed to slide your front foot out and then slide your body forward. I was not doing that before. At least my leg muscles don't burn so much anymore.

I also figured out why I have trouble with Kendo stance in general, not just weight and balance. I took French Foil instruction for 2 years and then continued to practice what I knew for 2.5 years after that. So, my body has been in Foil Stance for more than 4 years with little interruption. I've adapted that defensive stance as my natural stance. Kendo has both feet facing front and leaning forward on the soles of your feet. Foil has your back foot twisted "outward" by 90 degrees and your whole foot on the floor. Foil also has you move by picking your foot up, moving it forward, and setting it down. You do not slide, since the fencing strip most likely is carpeted. In Kendo, you have a hard, smooth surface for your bare feet. I think I shall have a lot of work to deprogram myself to adopt Kendo stance as natural, but I don't think I shall give up. Even if I'm going to lag behind others, it's worth pursuing. I'm just going to count on my instructor and my sensei to be patient with me.

I think the lesson is "change is hard, so stick with it".

No comments:

Post a Comment