Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Beginner's Point of View 90-91

Day 90:

I went back to class today, fearful of my wrists. Today they are sore but not “hurting”, so I think it’s time to go to class. I have trouble sorting out the difference between “sprained and needs rest” and the condition of “healed and needs flexing”. Granted they both sting like crazy but the latter condition is the one we all hope for with good wishes. Today I was not wrong. It was the right time to go back to class.

At the beginning of class, I was the only advanced student present. After warm-ups, sensei asked me to put on men and kote. For the entire class, I was the training target. The students would line up and take turns practicing any drill sensei asked them. The students would strike men or kote, or maybe a kote-men and pass through multiple times before their turn was up. Occasionally, sensei would show us an advanced technique that he would perform. It showed us how well we could do if we kept practicing. He also gave me the occasional opportunity to practice the class’s drills on him so I would not feel left out. Sensei would also practice some incorrect strikes, including ones that were too hard. He made sure to let me prepare to receive those extra-hard strikes correctly to avoid getting hurt. The difference was obvious to the students, who tried to not hit too hard. I really like how sensei treats everyone with respect. It really keeps the attitude of the dojo light and positive.

Eventually, advanced students came filtering in one by one. They would naturally line up with the others. The difference between them and the beginner students was that many of the advanced students did not need me to give them an opening. They were also taller and I needed to keep my head up to avoid getting hit too hard. Once the beginner class was dismissed, we lined up and did the bowing out ceremony. I decided that was enough exercise to my wrists for one day. Perhaps if they get stronger quickly, I will show up at the advanced class sooner.

Day 91:

No class as I am working late at my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment