Monday, February 13, 2012

A Beginner's Point of View 343-344

Day 343:

I’m back to Iaido class. I’m skipping Kendo because I’m not well enough for it yet. I get winded just walking up and down stairs. Still, I’m stir-crazy, so some exercise will be good for me. I practiced my 1-12 as usual. My sword seems lighter. I’m swinging it almost as fast as the others swinging their aluminum-zinc swords. My heart rate got up to over 140 beats per minute twice tonight. I needed to sit and rest a bit before continuing. Still, I got through class without pain.

Day 344:

In Iaido, I went through my kata like usual. I had some wobble to my motion so I need to slow down and keep my balance more backwards than forwards. The instructor made mention that there’s been a correction to the fifth kata. When we draw and slash diagonally upwards, we follow up with a slash back down the same path but we do not bring our back foot up into a normal stance. We keep it back for stability. Then we slide the right foot widely back into normal hasso-no-kamae. I had just gotten used to bringing it up. Oh, well. I also had to concentrate at the end of the twelfth kata, making sure to slide my right foot back when doing chiburi.

Day 344.5:

We had a demonstration of Kendo at an elementary school today. Just a half of an hour, I’m sure I can last through it all. However, when we all show up, myself and another shodan are the highest-ranking Kendoka there. She took the role of announcer and I led the class. She wanted to do it the way the club did it before I joined. Stretches and suburi first, then rei-hou. It felt weird.

Still, that’s what we did. When it was time to assemble, I led us into a circle and we stretched while the kids filed in and sat upon the floor. I led us in a speedy set of stretches and suburi. Then we swapped our bokken out for shinai and grabbed our men. We lined up facing the class and did rei-hou.

I organized the class into two lines of three each and we did kiri-kaeshi both ways, menouchi both ways, koteouchi both ways, and dohouchi both ways. I stayed in my spot as the anchor to keep mixing up the partners. By now another student showed up and I put him in the odd position.

We finished with some keiko using only men and kote. We each fought twice. My first keiko was all right. I was trying to show good form. However, my second keiko drained me of energy. I found myself using stalling tactics to catch my breath.

Once the demo was over, we lined up, took off men, did rei-hou and the kids applauded for us. We even attended their little finishing ceremony for themselves and then packed up to go home.

I actually followed one of my friends to his house to help him assemble a ‘Franken-shinai’ out of spare pieces. I felt destroyed. Not good at all. Earlier in the week I gave the doctor seven vials of blood for lab analysis across three days. I learned not to push myself after giving so much blood. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment