Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Beginner's Point of View 347-348

Day 347:

Today Sensei showed up for Iaido! He felt well enough to slowly go through the kata and get some exercise. Myself, I tried to pace myself a bit more than usual. I wanted to try to last through a full four sets of 1-12. I still place my weight on the front of my feet. It still makes me awkward to step and shift my weight into new positions. Only when I slow down and think about it do I place more of my heel down to the floor.

I finished the four sets of 1-12 with no painful thumping of my heart and less fatigue. However, my abdomen has been sore for the past week. The doctor and I are investigating the problem.

Day 348:

Today felt like an average day going into Iaido. I did my 1-12 and found that I could do four full sets of 1-12 easily. However, that was an illusion. After the adrenaline wore off, I found that my hands were shaking and I felt drained. It was a good practice, but I need to remember my limitations.

I asked the instructor something. He confirmed that in the tenth kata, when going for the fourth cut you can take a big step and follow up by bringing your left foot up closer to your right foot. This makes you travel towards the left side of the kata, which evens out your inherent rightward travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment