Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Beginner's Point of View 391-394

Day 391:

No class today because my sprained toes still hurt. I’ll let them heal.

Day 392:

I finally got an appointment to have blood work done at the clinic, so I’ll skip today. I learned my lesson about pushing myself after I give blood.

Day 393:

I went to Iaido today, trying my foot in the heat. As I went through the motions of the first three kata, my foot felt fine. Not perfect, but easily not hurting. It’s time to work it back into shape.

I noticed that my noto is not very good. It’s not crisp like usual, just sloppy. At the end of the three sets I’m exhausted but not sweating. That must be my liver acting up. I think I’ll go another month.

Day 394:

I did a good three sets of kata today faster than usual. I wasn’t sweating and I was only a little down on energy. I concentrated on better noto today and improved it. Sensei was there and with two-thirds of the class gone I traded spots with him to let him practice the standing kata. I worked on the first, second, and fourth while in the short space.

I noticed that my iai-heza was too centered between both legs so I was wobbly getting up. If I keep most of my weight shifted onto my left foot, then I can get up faster and smoother.

At the end of class, Sensei told me that I had a ‘death grip’ on my iaito. I needed to relax. His adice was to drive home using only my thumbs, ring fingers, and pinkie fingers to relax the hands. Maybe tha’s why I got my three sets of kata done so soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment