Friday, August 10, 2012

A Beginner's Point of View 395-396

Day 395:

I was the first to arrive at Iaido class, so I set to work clearing and sweeping the floor. Those tables and sofas seem heavier than before. I was winded and half exhausted after finishing. I set to work on my kata and could only perform two sets before I had to stop.

I think I’ve found an error I’ve been doing in the tenth kata. For the first overhead cut, I’ve been stepping with the right foot, followed up by the left foot. Then repeat for the next cut. I should be stepping with the left and then with the right for the second cut.

The doctor says my liver is slowly getting better but my immune system is hindering my progress. I’ll be at least six more months out of Kendo. I really hate losing all of my progress towards nidan.

Day 396:

I was first to arrive again, so I cleared and swept the floor. It’s still tiring but I have the time to pace myself. I had the energy to complete two sets of kata and then start a third set before I had to quit.

I asked the instructor about a finer point of the seventh kata. After the second cut, does one raise the sword in jodan or more horizontal like an anticipated parry? The instructor said that it was both. So, treat it like the start of a parry but then push the upper part of the sword up into jodan. Sounds like it’s something easier to do than explain, but it makes sense. Also, the pommel of the sword seemed loose. The instructor said that it may be loose on purpose and that it was only affixed to the sword by the wrapped cord. As long as it doesn’t come off, then it’s fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment