Saturday, June 8, 2013

A Beginner's Point of View 481-482

Day 481:

No class today as I was working late at my job.

Day 482:

Today was not as hot but humid.

We got through one and a half sets of Iaido before the instructor decided to go through some structure. We practiced the finer points of kata three and four. I need to remember to not put so much weight on my front foot or else my back foot is too high.

In Kendo, I managed to step in at the right time. After an exhausting sets of suburi and okuri-ashi with fumi-komi, I was completely out of breath and light-headed. An instructor even commented on how red my face was.

I had to stay out for a while as the others put on men to do men-ouchi and kote-ouchi drills. After a while and some water, I felt good enough to put on men and participate. I participated in doh-ouchi and helping a new student with men strikes. The instructor ordered me to do kote-men-ouchi and I focused on keeping my left foot turned inward as well as posture. He told me that I needed to assess more and improvise. He purposefully stood at uneven distances to make me change the length of strides to strike kote men. I was concentrating on lengthening my stride instead of improvising so my kote was good but I was too close for men. I need to change that.

Training for nidan is ruthless.

No comments:

Post a Comment