Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Beginner's Point of View 479-480

Day 479:

No class today as it is a holiday.

Day 480:

Today was hot and humid. The humidity made me feel bad. I nearly quit.

In Iaido we had more structure. We did thirty matoburi-suburi, only Iaido style. You turn the blade sideways while rising up to practice blocking. We practiced the first, second, and twelfth katas. During the lessons for the second kata, the rest of us just practiced random kata.

After class, the shodan pointed out that I’m not switching hands right. I need to cross my right hand over my left and then curl under the saya. That will put the sword in the proper position.

I continued to feel lousy into Kendo. I missed warm-ups but I came in for suburi. The instructor tried to explain when it’s acceptable to step in. It’s only when the group bows. You have to pay close attention and run in when you can.

After suburi, we did okuri-ashi with fumi-komi, men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, kote-men-ouchi. After we broke to men-tsuke, I started feeling better. Curiously, it’s right when I stopped sweating.

We practiced kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, and kote-men-ouchi. I started getting drained again. The instructor corrected me by saying I was bringing my left foot too far forward when passing by after a strike. I notice that keeping it back keeps my speed up.

When I got into the out spot, the instructor called for a massive drill, three men, three kote, three kote-men, and three doh. Ouch. Fortunately, it was only for one time. I just barely finished class.

No comments:

Post a Comment