Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Beginner's Point of View 471-472

Day 471:

I did two sets of Iaido, but I was wobbly on my feet. I think I’m leaning forward too much. The new student wanted to start Iaido lessons.

In Kendo, the weather was cool and rainy. We didn’t have the overhead fans on, so my throat didn’t dry out so fast.

We did warm-ups, suburi, and okuri-ashi. We then did several rounds of kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, and kote-ouchi. We had time for a match of ji-geiko at the end. I fought against the instructor and did well. Not only did I hold my own against him, I think I struck points on him more often than he scored against me.

I did not have to sit out during the practice. I feel I’m getting stronger.

Day 472:

I did two sets of Iaido today. I seem to run out of time doing only two sets. I was still wobbly, so I tried leaning back some. I need to get used to that.

In Kendo, the instructor was late today. As he walked in, he told me to just start class. So, I led the opening ceremony, warm-ups, and okuri-ashi. I tried to impress on everyone to keep their feet not side-by-side during footwork.

We then lined up and put on men. We did endless drills of men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, kiri-kaeshi, kote-men-ouchi, and one match of ji-geiko. It was against a younger student, so I fought at the ikkyu level.

Again, I did not sit out. I was faint and tired for a long time. The last four drills, I felt like sitting out but I toughed it out. I’m so hyped about staying in. I feel like I’m getting better towards where I was before I had to sit out.

The doctor’s office called and let me know my liver is nearly fully healed. I’m doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment