Friday, May 24, 2013

A Beginner's Point of View 477-478

Day 477:

Today was really, really hot. I had to pace myself doing three sets of kata. I felt fatigued near the end of the last set.

I started class again. I did warm-ups, suburi, and okuri-ashi. We did men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, kote-men-ouchi, and kote-men-doh-ouchi. We did something different. We put on kote and used our shinais to go through a two-person tunnel for waza without men. This prevented us from overheating but it was more dangerous. I actually hit someone in the face with my shinai. I was trying to start from farther and farther away to increase my fumi-komi range.

We got a safety lecture while partners are not wearing men. I didn’t have to sit out. I felt really good and worked.

Day 478:

Today we had structure in Iaido class. It was really, really humid. I didn’t feel well all day. We did a few exercises that one would do in an Iaido seminar. We did a sitting kata where you cut horizontal and vertical to the front, right, behind, and left. You finish backwards and have to do it again, winding up cutting in all four directions. We also did a deep knee exercise by cutting vertically while almost putting a knee to the floor, alternating knees.

I was so tired after Iaido that I missed half of Kendo warm-ups, tying my doh and tare on. I did do suburi and okuri-ashi, but that drained me. I felt so weak as we put on men and formed lines. I pushed myself to finish all of the men-ouchi and kote-ouchi drills. I spent some time letting the new guy men me and coached him to pass through. I had a problem with my energy, resulting in my leaning forward. I guess I was gripping the shinai too hard, tensing my shoulders. The instructor kept reminding me of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment