Thursday, August 15, 2013

A Beginner's Point of View 501-502

Day 501:

Today we had a guest sensei show up. We haven’t seen him for a year. He was doing well and even had a new job and promotion back home in Japan. Good for him.

After warming up myself, advanced class started. We opened with kiri-kaeshi and then guest sensei wanted us to do a variation of kiri-kaeshi. We start with men-ouchi and then then strike doh over and over.

The bulk of class was a single-extra-long version of kenshi-in-the-middle. We took turns being in the middle until each did each of kote-suriage-men and men-kaeshi-doh twice. Guest sensei really helped me sharpen my doh-ouchi. I have to remember to keep my left hand in the middle of my body. We finished with three rounds of ji-geiko.

At the end of class, we lined up to hear Guest Sensei’s comments. He told me that I had a great spirit. He was always feeling being pressured.

Day 502:

We had a full day of many different waza. Kirik-kaeshi, doh-kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, doh-ouchi, men-debana-kote, and kote-suriage-men.

We all didn’t do so well with doh-ouchi. We kept not cutting well, like going too horizontal with the swing. Sensei had us re-do the drill where the receiver starts by attempting to strike men. The attacker blocks with kaeshi-doh. We do it ten times continuously while standing still. After that, then we all did better.

We finished with some ji-geiko. I noticed that I was scoring men-ouchi and kote-ouchi on Sensei over and over. At first, I thought I was surpassing his Kendo, but then that didn’t make sense this soon. After class, he admitted that his leg hurt badly so he wasn’t fighting at peak capacity. That made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment