Monday, August 5, 2013

A Beginner's Point of View 497-498

Day 497:

In Iaido class, we actually had a structured class. We did matoburi suburi and that drill where we do a draw and cut like in maai, only we do it front-right-behind-left and then do it again. I messed up the first right-vs-left and ended up backwards. Afterwards, we practiced the first three kata and learned the finer points. I need to cut lower across the eyes.

In Kendo, we skipped okuri-ashi and went directly into waza. Several rounds of men-ouchi and all of its variations. We had a lesson on stepping right, not half-stepping into it and messing up your fumi-komi. I spent time hitting my partners too hard. I need more tenouchi. The sensei worked us hard in preparation for the tournament. Kote-ouchi, doh-ouchi, kote-men-ouchi, and ji-geiko. The instructor mentioned that I waver my shinai when I turn around after passing by.

Day 498:

I decided to mix it up by going to advanced class for a while. I forgot we changed our times of class so I arrived halfway through beginner class. The sensei asked me to join in, so I did.

In advanced practice, we worked hard to sharpen our skills. We worked several repetitions on men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, kote-men-ouchi, sashi-men, and oji-waza such as debana-men. I had some trouble with harai-men. Instead of raising straight up, I wound up slinging my shinai backwards and forwards to strike kote, called kote-nuki-kote. It worked, but that was not the drill.

By the end of class, I felt like collapsing. I couldn’t move fast. My feet hurt. My callous on my left foot tore some more sideways. I was really dehydrated. Still, it was a good workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment