Friday, September 13, 2013

A Beginner's Point of View 509-510

Day 509:

Today the instructors decided to kill all of us with stamina drills. We had increasing repetitions for drills until we finish the type of waza and move to the next one. Three, five, seven, and nine repetitions for each of men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, jodan-men, jodan-kote, kote-suriage-men, jodan-suriage-men, and then ji-geiko.

I tried to step out after-jodan-kote, but the instructor encouraged me to stay in. I thought there was just a couple of drills left, but it lasted for multiple repetitions for several drills. I felt horrible, but I kept going. I was tired, out of breath, dizzy, eyes burning from sweat, and dripping nose, but I stayed in until the end.

For kata, I helped refine the first three kata for a student who will eventually test for ikkyu. I advised him to square his hips for movement into jodan in the first kata to keep his sword on target. Still, I was embarrassed for messing up the second kata as shidachi.

Day 510:

Today was a hot, humid day. We took it easy and did more of a technique-sharpening day.

We did kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, jodan-men, and jodan-kote. The instructor gave us a lecture on how to hold the sword for jodan. We need to slide the sword up so the pinkie finger is not covering the tsuka. We hold the right hand with the web of the hand between thumb and forefinger is open to push the sword.

We went back to work and did ai-ouchi-men, men-ai-ouchi-kote (I hope I said that right) and then we took a break.

We did some kata. I got to practice the first seven kata and got advice. I need to keep my sword lower in the sixth kata to show no stance. In the seventh kata I need to cut instantly and then step carefully to avoid confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment