Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Beginner's Point of View 577-578

Day 577:

Today was hot and humid. I did three sets of kata and my sweat was pouring out.

In Kendo, I stepped into suburi and then did my best in okuri-ashi. I shouted very hard and tired my voice.

We put on our bogu and then practiced our waza. We did kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, men-men-ouchi, and then kakari-geiko. I lost my breath and was very tired. I had to sit out for a few minutes.

After I stepped in, I practiced kote-men-ouchi and a few rounds of ji-geiko. We then did a practice tournament. I volunteered for two fights against lower-ranking students. I let them have a few strikes but I made sure to advance and strike twice for the win each time. I was totally out of breath during each match. I really underestimated my strength during this weather. The guest sensei told me about how I wasn’t showing much zanshin except at the end of each match. I don’t know why I’m so slow to recover my breath from okuri-ashi.

Day 578:

In Iaido class, I was tired and distracted. I only did two sets of Iaido and then nine kata. Not even a full set.

Today was cooler than the previous class. After suburi and okuri-ashi, we did lots of repetitions of men-ouchi and finished with a ji-geiko. I got to fight a nito-player that used to belong to our dojo. I always like fighting against him.

We then did lots of repetitions of kote-ouchi and then another ji-geiko. We did repetitions of doh-ouchi and then another ji-geiko. I nearly had to step out but I toughed it out.

It was sensei’s birthday, so we all took turns fighting him. I was in the second half of the class, so I saw him when he was breathless. I practiced men-men-ouchi and was able to strike. After class, one of our sensei said that my hips were not square, so my left foot was awkward. Now I need to remember to square my hips every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment