Saturday, August 16, 2014

A Beginner's Point of View 600-601

Day 600:

Another day of fast kata, three sets long. The third kata is getting awkward. I nearly clip my head as I swing my sword around. I asked Sensei and he demonstrated the swing. I think I’m not pushing the blade forward as I push it up.

Kendo class was hard work today. After surburi, we went right into men-tsuke. We did multiple iterations of men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, and doh-ouchi. We practiced kote-men and then went into a series of ai-men-ouchi and ai-men-kote-kote-men-ouchi to teach us to always try to strike kote-men rather than just men. We finished with ji-geiko.

Day 601:

Iaido class is getting fast. Fast to practice and fast time ticking by. As a class, we did half of the set together after the new student was taught the tenth kata.

Today was a repeat of last class with men-ouchgi, kote-ouchi, kote-men-ouchi, and then into ai-kote-men-ouchi drills. We finished with ji-geiko.

We’re getting close to the time when we are supposed to cut our hours. I wonder if we’re going to include a mandatory kata lesson at the end to cool down. That would help me. I need to learn the three shoto kata for sandan test.

No comments:

Post a Comment