Saturday, August 23, 2014

A Beginner's Point of View 602-603

Day 602:

Today I arrived late but still had enough time for three full sets. I tried pushing the sword forward as much as up and it seems to make to the swinging around into strike position much easier.

In kendo we had a hard day of practice. We stepped into practice right after suburi. Several round of men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, doh-ouchi. then we started to work on advanced concepts of kote-men, ai-ouchi-men, and then step-step-men. We’re trying to teach to see and strike the men upon sight of target. Finishing with kakari-geiko and ji-geiko was satisfying.

Day 603:

Iaido class went quickly. After three sets, I practiced the third kata by pushing the blade forward again. It does make the swivel easier. My foot felt mildly sprained after last class but it feels fine now.

In Kendo class, I tried to take it easy, especially with the fumi-komi. After suburi, we went back to okuri-ashi practice. I like okuri-ashi, it fixes my footwork well.

We did a series of drills to work up towards small men strikes. We apparently don’t call it sashi-men anymore because ‘sashi’ means ‘stab’. Calling it stab must be rude or too sensitive or something. I don’t care.

Kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, and ai-men-ouchi were the drills for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment