Thursday, September 4, 2014

A Beginner's Point of View 606-607

Day 606:

No class today as it is a holiday.

Day 607:

In Iaido class, I finished three sets and then practiced the fifth kata again. I need to pull the sword against the saya before drawing to make it more smoothly.

Today, I started being an instructor in Kendo. I was given a young kid for a student and this was his first class. I taught him rei-hou, stretching, holding the sword, and walking. I kept his attention by suggesting that he imagine a street thug as tall as he is trying to rob him. He holds the sword at the throat of the attacker and holds it. He did well. After about half an hour, I put on men and stepped into class. My instructor suggested this as he felt half an hour was enough to keep his attention. I still had a talk with him about the bogu and what it did.

In class, I did a quick kiri-kaeshi and then a few rounds of men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, kakari-geiko, and ji-geiko. I had taken my tabi off after Iaido and I was astounded by my speed and acceleration with bare skin touching the floor. That tabi really forces me to grip the floor with my toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment