Sunday, May 15, 2016

A Beginner's Point of View 782-783

Day 782:

In Iaido class, I got to complete 2.5 sets of kata. My hip is getting better but my leg is still bad. It’s getting up from tate-heiza that hurts. It’s not bad enough to stop, it’s just uncomfortable. I certainly can’t add fumi-komi to it.

In Kendo class, it was a kata day. We have a student testing for ikkyu but she hasn’t practiced nearly enough. I’m not being mean but this student is really not good at kata. They need much more practice.

We finished the class with kihon, kiri-kaeshi, and then Sensei built up our stamina with rotating uchikomi-geiko practice at high speed.

Day 783:

In Iaido, I was really distracted today. I only got to complete 1.5 sets of kata. I stopped to listen in as Sensei taught a student how to tie their new uniform of keiko-gi and hakama. I think I may be making a small mistake in my hakama-himo (is that the right word? Hakama-obi maybe? The build-in part, not the separate obi I use for Iaido). I tie it in the center and no-one’s ever corrected me.

In Kendo, it was a day of practice for stamina and accuracy. It was kihon, kiri-kaeshi, men-debana-kote, kote-suriage-men, and ji-geiko. I was not feeling assertive today. I tried but I was just so slow. All I can do is keep going.

After class, Sensei gave the advice to attack form the hips rather the arms and fix the fumi-komi to be stronger and synchronized.

No comments:

Post a Comment