Thursday, April 10, 2014

A Beginner's Point of View 565-566

Day 565:

In Iaido class, I did the standard three sets of kata with time to spare. I practiced the fifth and twelfth katas to practice. I need to do more saya-biki. My iaito is scraping the saya as it comes out. I need to draw more slowly. At least I remembered to turn my right foot for the ninth kata.

In Kendo class, the instructor didn’t show up, so sensei asked me to teach the beginners. Over and over we practiced Kendo steps and men-ouchi. With the limited space available, we did our best. I tried to mix it up to avoid getting bored. I linked motions into a combo of forward/forward/back/back/right/right/left/left/men-ouchi-forward/men-ouchi-backward.

Day 566:

Did three sets of Iaido kata and practiced the fifth kata several times. My saya-biki is getting better.

In Kendo, after stretching and suburi, we put on men right away. We did a lot of waza training. Kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, kote-ouchi, doh-ouchi, kakari-geiko, and ji-geiko. I was told by a student that I was hitting too hard. It gave me a flashback to when I had to tell a higher-ranking person to stop hitting me so hard. I have to keep my focus sharp to know who to hit hard and who to not hit hard.

Head Sensei showed up to teach the advanced class. He started talking about a new way to hold chudan. I have to get back into going home early to get my sleep each night well.

No comments:

Post a Comment