Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Beginner's Point of View 571-572

Day 571:

Today I’m back from being sick. My breath is shallow and my throat is still a little sore, causing coughing. Still, I need some exercise. I had a nice, quiet session of Iaido with three full sets.

I was tired after class but Sensei asked me to train a beginner early enough in his training to not practice with the class. Our other Sensei did not show up today, so I had to help out. No problem. I like being dependable. I took the student through basics of suri-ashi, men-ouchi, and kote-ouchi. I tried to mix things up by having him keep issoku-itto-no-maai with me in the two-man movement. He was exhausted after the session while I was just breathing a little heavier than usual. I wonder if it’s him not being used to the physical effort or if I’m just showing the years of effort I put into it. Still, I gave him encouragement to keep coming back to practice because repetition makes everything easier after a while.

Day 572:

No class today because of dangerous weather. There was a flash flood warning from the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment